that is only King James' VERSION

Once again I have revealed something that has left two of my friends speechless. The friends have known me for 10 and 5 years respectively but would have never guessed that what I exposed would ever come out of my mouth. For as long as they have known me they have seen me active at Metropolitan Baptist in DC and now faithfully attending Elizabeth Baptist here in Atlanta. But in a conversation this past Thursday with the 10 year friend and one this Saturday with the 5 year friend caught them both by total surprise when I stated, “ I have quite a few issues with the King James Version of the Bible and don’t really believe it for what it is supposed to be.”

My issues with this version first stemmed from school when we were studying the many Kings of England. This is where I learned that King James once studied and promoted witchcraft and showed very little interest in women but preferred the company of men. A few years ago I was exposed to Alister McGrath’s book, In the Beginning: The Story of the King James Bible and How it Changed a Nation, a Language, and a Culture. It was in this book where I learned that the legendary King James commissioned the translation of the Bible to conform to the Church of England. He also wanted any words that had different meanings, to be translated using whatever meaning “the most eminent fathers” used. Also instead of translating from an original Hebrew text, the KJV derives from the Geneva Bible and several other translations.
So basically you have a translation of a translation that isn’t even a literal translation.

In saying this doesn’t mean I think the KJV is just an incredible novella. But unfortunately since I can’t read Hebrew, I must hope and believe that the inspiration of the word of God is still there. And continue to read my Bible that has the KJV and the NIV side by side for comparison. (I am sure the NIV has issues with its translation as well).

Faith is the substance of things hope for, the evidence of things not seen.

7 comments:

Darius T. Williams said...

I have issues with all the versions - that's why Hebrew and Greek or at least the understanding are important. Actually, I despise reading out the of the KJV. I loves a good NIV or my favorite is the New Living Translation - it reads like One Life To Live.

Anonymous said...

i remember studying this in a class i took in undergrad... I haven't looked at it the same since.

It is sad that we accept things without really exploring to see where they come from. You would think after slavery we would know better.

Anonymous said...

organized religion is built on self hatred.

doesnt the bible say something about study to show thyself...

iii said...

God inspired the word and man wrote it. Therefore we know that man has many flaws and makes mistakes. Faith comes by hearing, hearing the word of God. Your faith in God brought you to a relationship with him. My point is this, you cannot simply read the bible or any translated word as a novel. You have to asked God for understanding and revelation when reading the bible. Therefore God can unfold his truth unto you. Having a personal relationship with him is key. Remeber, God has no respect of person. He chooses whomsoever he will.
To me how the bible came about is not important, whats important is how people lives are being transformed daily in a positive way.

Anonymous said...

My faith tells me that if there are errors in the most popular interpretation of His words, that He has the power to change it to make sure we understand Him more clearly. He hasn't done that.

Anonymous said...

To the above...I dont think its a mandate of your faith that has you tied to that belief, I think its a mandate of your fear, and the loss of security. God has not stopped talking to people, His word has never ceased. Its only human arrogance which has taken over. We've put God in a box and now believe we know all he's ever said or ever will say about salvation. "It's in the Good Book!" But we all know if one were come along and attempt to add/remove anything to the scriptures (even if its to correct an "errer"), it would be met with MUCH resistance....
Which leaves one remaining question: If we accept that God inspires the Word and man writes it(through the conduit of his faith), where/when did we arbitrarily draw the line that denotes one piece of writing as "holy" versus another piece as "unholy"?

Anonymous said...

Inner-sight, I'm not operating out of fear. I know that God still speaks. And I refuse to keep Him in a box. And I don't deny that any change to His word would be met with resistance - even if it IS from God, but I'm just not sure that He has sent a word that will contradict what He said previously. His word tells us that he is the same today, yesterday and forever more.