5 Things I will Miss About ATL: #1 Elizabeth Baptist Church


I can't remember a time growing up when church wasn't a constant. There was always two services on Sunday and bible class on Wednesday. Vacation Bible School every summer and once I was a teenager there were the weeklong camps held at universities across the country.

During college my attendence dwindled, but it wasn't until I was an adult when I realized how important spiritual fullfilment was to my life. I discovered this with the help of Metropolitan Baptist Church, which I am excited to finally be returning to.

But after visiting countless churches here in Atlanta, it was only Elizabeth Baptist Church that fed my soul and not only had me eager to return, but had me telling everyone about it. It is truly a unique worshiping experience. It is everything that I enjoy... a good message, uplifting singing (even from the Mens Choir... which tend to be dull and boring), and a timely service. But the thing that suprises me the most about the multigenerational EBC, is how the service and church are led by quite a youthful staff. Craig L. Oliver the pastor is in his mid 30s, and the ministerial staff that I have had the opportunity to see when Oliver was away have all been in their early 20s. When I asked one of the elder members I sat next to one Sunday, she simplied replied "it is a beautiful thing to see the young folks so active nowdays". Inspring as well, if you ask me.

For anyone looking for a church experience, I highly recommend checking this church out. You can watch the services live or On Demand at Streamingfaith.com. It will definitely be apart of any of my weekend trips to ATL.

7 comments:

monki24 said...

will check it out on my trip to ATL for labor day weekend. Wanted to find a church to go Sunday. If you ever head to DC check out Reef Temple. It's really great service Thanks for the info!

Anonymous said...

i was just about to say if he posts one more thing about this church im gonna scream...

but after watching one of the sermons i understand.

Anonymous said...

I haven't been to a church in years. The hypocrisy and frequent "collection plate" started to bother me.

What's funny is that my faith has gotten a lot stronger since I stopped attending. Go figure.

life said...

I share your sentiments regarding EBC

Anonymous said...

Is this a gay-friendly church? Most black mega-churches usually bash gays .. I will like to know ..thanks

C. Baptiste-Williams said...

i do not know their stance on homosexuality but in the 4 months that I have attended I haven't been witness to any 'gay bashing'

Anonymous said...

ok .. thanks ... i live in macon and attend a similar church ... once is a while (i.e. 1ce in 5 months?) there is some subtle gay-bashing from the pulpit, and the congregation goes "wild" .. the only reason i stay is that it is too much of a problem to make that drive to ATL. i look forward to when there will be a good black gay-affirming church south of ATL :)