A Raisin in the Sun


Even when I was on my way to the theater to see A Raisin in the Sun on Broadway I had my doubts... I thought would Diddy taint the wonderful and amazing acting that I knew would come from Phylicia Rashad, Audra McDonald, and Sanaa Lathan. After the play, we met friends at a bar in Chelsea and the first questioned they asked was how was Diddy.

My simple reply was, "Diddy wasn't in the play but Sean Combs did a great job... No Sidney but a great job."


Of course I will be watching Monday night on ABC at 8pm to see how well this cast and this version will translate to TV.

What happens to a dream deferred?
Does it dry up like a raisin in the sun?
Or fester like a sore-- And then run?
Does it stink like rotten meat?

Or crust and sugar over-- like a syrupy sweet?
Maybe it just sags like a heavy load.
Or does it explode?

- Langston Hughes

12 comments:

BPS 4.0 : Soul Exposure said...

I have to agree about Diddy but who knew? I can't wait for the TV version and to buy it on DVD.

Bernie said...

Of course with television comes the benefit of retakes and editing. Anyone can look good there.

Anonymous said...

that is kind of the point of acting on television. and yet still some dont look good. is it so hard to give people credit for good work.

Anonymous said...

I agree with celeste, u have to give Sean comb credit, he did a great job, I saw a private screening of the movie in Atlanta with no commercials and it was great, he was very believable, well done Sean p-diddy combs :)

Chet said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chet said...

Pleased to hear that Sean came across well in the play, there is no doubt that he enjoys performing before a live audience. I suppose one can say that I have dug this brotha since day one. I will try and catch the television version when it airs.

Anonymous said...

i thought they did a great job last nite sad i missed it on broadway

fuzzy said...

Hmmm this seems like an interesting thing to see! I wanna see it!

That Dude Right There said...

While I think that Mr. Combs did a phenomel job to not be a veteran actor, I can't forget about the rest of the cast. I especially love Audra McDonald!!!

C. Baptiste-Williams said...

umm fuzzy u so late... it came on monday gosh

Darius T. Williams said...

Um, so yea - he wasn't all that great to me.

life said...

I think all of them performed well, but Phylicia Rashad is just _____ (fill in with the best adjective you can find).