Damn You Target...


If you are keeping up by now you know I love Saks... French Connection... Crate and Barrell.... Barney's CoOp... but my favorite store is Target or as Jackie Washington would say Tar'Get.

As I was driving the short few miles to Potomac Yards... I looked over my list at least twice. I love Potomac Yards because they have everything I need for a Saturday shopping trip. Target sits next to Best Buy, which is right down from Barnes and Noble, which is next to Shoppers Food Warehouse which sits next to Pier 1. As I pulled up to Target, I reminded myself I am just getting the basic necessities. You know body wash, Olay Cleansing Pads, Tide, baby oil, and a candle or 2... $15 or 20 at most. But in the midst of our idle banter, Chris had put my last item in the bag and told me $62.20. His facial expression in response to my now frowned up face was a simple What??

It never seems to fail... those damn Target executives are smart or I am just weak. I think I can count on one hand the number of times I have been able to go into Target and spend less that $50. This time it was new baking pans, a cell phone case, and new socks. Last time I think it was Tshirts, towels, and a dvd.
I see now Target isn't the store but people like me walking in. I am now putting myself on a once a month Target diet.

7 comments:

Darius T. Williams said...

I feel the same way about wal mart.

That Dude Right There said...

Target had me in in grips a while back also. I went over my checking account for 2006 and Target was on there 42 times. The average purchase price was 42.47!

Now when I need personal care items, I use coupons from the Sunday paper and take my ass to CVS or Walgreens!

fuzzy said...

I hate Target! Substitute Target for Wal-Mart and I understand you! lol Many times I went in for 3 things and came out with close to 30!

Chet said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chet said...

Be it Target, Walmart, Walgreens or the local market the stores make it near to impossible for a shopper to come into that store and get exactly what he or she came in for, instead we find items that we feel we can't live without or we make an excuse to get it and in the interim our credit card(s)or debit card(s)takes a spanking. It is the skills of the Marketing Department and the Visual Display Department that attracts shoppers to items and displays.

Anonymous said...

Tar' get plays it up better than Wal-mart, not as cheesy, better kept, cleaner and look stores and without he Wal-mart crowd of screeching kids, and, other folks I just chose to be boogie and avoid like I would by not going to Kmart. Tar'get is great for some items, but, I have found, that with coupons, your local super market is the best place for household items and, basic toiletries, even better than Wal-mart. Wal-mart, nah, I'll pay the extra coins and go to Tar'get if needed over Wal-mart, CVS and that silly card to get the deal, and, Walgreens, which is no better than the corner store with it soff he hook prices.

Mr. Jones said...

I refuse to shop in Wal-Mart, so Target gets all of my business. I'm with you completely. I can never spend less than $50 in that place. What's even worse is that it's often all stuff that is needed. No luxury items. No guilty put-backs. Just soap and deodorant and toothpaste and contact solution. I was in Target last Saturday and spent $147.