Why do I keep tempting myself with something that I know will never work out?

I know that I always complain about dating, but I have actually been enjoying it since being back in DC. If nothing more I have developed some new friendships with some very interesting people. I decided that when I came back I would take my time and only pursue interests that I thought had the possibility of sustaining. I was even upfront from the very beginning with each person letting them know where I am in my life, where I want to be, and that while get between the two I am openly dating to find someone to enjoy the journey.

So there are three people and each person has something about them that typically would never let me commit solely to them. Without going into the private details of our affairs, after taking time to think, I have realized that the issue actually may be me instead. (I know right imagine that)

This Sunday I was watching something on TV, and on this show the stereotype of gays being consumed by sex, made me realize that this may be true. Of the three... two of my issues are sexual in nature. I keep thinking I am better than this and that sex doesn't and shouldn't define me and my relationships with other people but the human side of me keeps taunting me with... Why do I keep tempting myself with something that I know will never work out?

4 comments:

life said...

The possibilities get us every time...sigh.

Unknown said...

That top/bottom thing will get us everytime... LOL
good luck.

That Dude Right There said...

You keep tempting yourself because you know that it can work out. That's why!

I know that you and I only met once (and you probably dont' remember:Club Europe Labor Day Weekend), but I think that we are a lot alike when it comes to dating. We both seem to overanalyze a situation with a person instead of just letting it ride out. We both seem to want things to "fit" perfectly, when we know that it won't.

But dude, keep looking. Eventually you will find that person who fits with you enough to make you want to work at it for the rest of your life.

Anonymous said...

What was the "something" you were watcing ?