The Beginning of Lent

Well, well, well Fat Tuesday, the last opportunity for partying and excessive indulgences before Lent, has come and gone. And today marks the first day of Lent. While I grew up in a nondenominational church that never really recognized this season of fasting, my new spiritual journey has taken me to a place where I look forward to this time of penance, prayer, preparation for or recollection of baptism, and preparation for the celebration of Easter.

During this time over the past 5 years, I always fast on something that has become unnecessarily important in my life, read the Bible more, and attend more church services than I do most of the year. For me its all about making a real sacrifice to symbolize the greatest sacrifice. This year I have decided to fast on alcohol and red meat and to read the entire book of Job. I chose Job because it is a book about a man who has so much and looses it all but still confesses his trust in God. This month will not only be a cleansing period but also a time of reflection of the difficult year my family has experienced due to Katrina and how material wealth can be easily washed away.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow ... sounds exciting.

Anonymous said...

Hmmmp.... lent.. huh..is that why all dem folks had dirt on de's fo heads... dang... I was walkin roud all day.. spit wipin 25/20's faces at work....

-PINK

Anonymous said...

Job... good choice and fitting for the whole Katrina disaster.

Anonymous said...

not dirt on their face.... wow