Celebrating 50 Years of Ailey


For the past 12 years, I have attended the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater's U.S. tour and this year the company celebrates its 50th Anniversary and kicks off its tour tonight here in Washington.

I am quite excited to be able to attend two shows during this engagement which includes a brand new Anniversary Highlights program that spans each decade of Ailey's phenomenal career and features excerpts from many of Alvin Ailey's most popular and beloved ballets: Blues Suite, Streams, Choral Dances, Mary Lou's Mass, The Lark Ascending, Hidden Rites, Night Creature, Cry, Phases, Landscape, For "Bird" – With Love, Caverna Magica, and Opus McShann. Ailey, a fellow Texan, choreographed over 79 ballets during his lifetime, with the most famous being Revelations.

Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater is one of the few opportunities to see the diversity of African American culture, art, and talent in a two hour span.

Dinner and a show... the way life should be lived.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

they are simply angelic...

Anonymous said...

i want to know who you are taking cause u didnt invite me ole huzzy

Pharoah said...

When I was there in DC for the Inauguration I saw that they were coming and was disappointed that I wasn't going to be in town. Thanks for the reminded to look to see when they will be here in LA.

Anonymous said...

alvin has played a significant role in my life so it's nice that not only is the company celebrating it's 50th anniversary, but will be starting it right her in DC. DC is really showing out this year, but what new, right?

Cash S. said...

I can not wait till they come to Chicago ago. I went for the first time last year and loved it! Definitely a must see!

Anonymous said...

werent u just at the kennedy center the other day seeing a dance performance

Anonymous said...

"..dinner and a show...." I agree!!!!!!

That Dude Right There said...

I attended their production last year at The Fox Theatre in Atlanta and will be doing a repeat this year.

The Doc said...

I've seen them live b4 and they are for real! Love them!