Doing the Same thing and Expecting Different Results...

Something really disturbed me on my drive into work this morning. Michael Eric Dyson was on The Frank Ski show on V103 talking about his new book, Debating Race. In this talk they began discussing whether or not black people would vote for Senator Barrack Obama in 2008 for President. This one caller called and basically said that we should not support Obama because white Americans will come out in droves to prevent a black man from becoming President and black people unfortunately will not get out to vote. She went on to state that the money that is going to his campaign would be better served focusing on issues in our community. While Michael and Frank unsuccessfully attempted to correct this misinformed thinking... I quickly plugged in my ipod and reminded myself this is only one reason why I rarely listen to the radio.

All morning this has been on my mind. How in the hell could any remotely intelligent person seriously think like this? I thought back to the small portion of Michael’s response that I did listen to which included a reference to the Bus Boycott struggle led by MLK and Rosa Parks. What would have happened if they thought back then that no matter what they did nothing would ever change?

It is the mentality of ignorant (yeah I can call her ignorant because its my blog not the Post, AJC, or SoVo) people like that, who refuse to stand up in what they believe in and take what they want and deserve that will keep a minority out of the office, will keep gay marriage banned, and will keep Dannielynn away from Larry Birkhead.

Now I am not ranting on whether or not she should support Obama, just because he is black, but I am ranting on her illogical and twisted thinking, that seems to be prevalent in our black and in our gay communities. I myself haven’t even began researching Obama’s, McCain’s, Clinton’s or anyone else’s viewpoints and stance on the issues. But I refuse to discount Obama’s chances, just because he is black. And even if his chances were slim to none and I believed in him as a candidate I would still vote for him. I mean I did vote for Kerry last go around.

And with that said… take your kids, nephews, and young cousins with you so they can be a part of the process. And encourage others who can... to do. VOTE OR DIE!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

man u hit this on the nail... i cant really relate to the gay issue but i totally see where you are coming from!!

Anonymous said...

i was listening and heard this crazy fool this morning too... sad to know people actually think like that

Unknown said...

Keep hope alive...hold up the light. Unity and solidarity are still important methods to acheiving our goals... unfortunately, the more we have (financially and socially) we don't seem to find either relevant.